Sunday, August 12, 2007

Makin' Pies

There's this kid. He's one of the kids from the group home I work at. One night a couple of weeks ago all the other kids went out to a movie, or to friends, or whatever. He had to stay home because of bad behaviour, so I hung out with him at the house and we picked saskatoon berries in the back yard. The berries hung in juicy purple clumps and were so ripe that they fell into our palms with the lightest brush and stained our fingers purple. I've never seen them so round and fat before.

I couldn't reach the tops of the trees, so he grabbed the branches for me and held them while I picked. He held the branches and told me about how he used to go camping with his mom and brothers and sisters. About how his dad lifts weights. About how he's teaching his little sister to respect their baby sister. How he wishes he could go camping again.

When our bucket was full we went inside and I taught him how to make a pie. He did it all, step by step as I told him. And when I taught him how to pinch the top crust to the bottom one he spent half an hour pinching it just so, pricking the crust with the tines of the fork, sprinkling sugar to make it crunch. We baked it and it looked so pretty and he did such a good job that I took a picture.
"Smile," I said, but of course, he wanted to look tough. In oven mitts.

I sure like that kid.

6 comments:

Mike S said...

Sounds like a kid with potential. (haven't been able to visit here for awhile, LOVE the bike. Has real character):)

Cherie said...

Excellent!

Did it taste as good as it looks?

(That kid is fortunate to know someone like you, Angela. Very much so.)

Angela said...

mike, he is such a great kid. i hope, hope, hope his future is kinder to him than his past has been.

cherie,
it was deeeeeeeelicious!
(and thanks. but really, you should meet the people i work with. they're so incredible.)

deanna said...

What a poignant rendering of the young man. Good job. :o)

Anonymous said...

because the kids may or may not thank you, because it might seem at times to be futile, because you're such a beautiful listener, because you have such a big heart:

I thank you on their behalf.

cecily said...

Another post I love but don't have the ability to tell you why. Something to do with his contained pride, his delight at life's simple joys, the juicy berries... I dunno. I just like it a lot. Thanks for sharing. (I'm sure when I read this the other day I had something meaningful to say in mind... note to self, comment straight away)